A good backyard landscape design will create a series of outdoor spaces that serve different functions, whether you want to play, relax, entertain, or just enjoy your outdoor space on a nice day. A well-designed landscape complements a home's design and architecture by extending the home’s interior design style outdoors; making your patio, deck, or balcony feel like another room of the house.
- Choose a style and theme for your backyard (Traditional, Tropical, Tuscan, Modern, English, Japanese, Country, French, Cape Cod, colonial, Spanish, or Coastal).
- Use a color scheme that matches your house indoor color scheme.
- Create a focal point for your backyard landscape design. Garden fountains, ponds, pools, sculptures, birdbaths, flower arrangements, or interesting trees make good focal points in a landscape design.
- Incorporate hardscapes into your design. Using the same material for all your hardscapes (pathways, patios, retaining walls) will add visual appeal to your landscape design.
- Add a stepping Stone Pathway. Sandstone, flagstone, and bluestone are great options for a pathway.
- Add a fire pit to add warmth to your outdoor space in late summer and early fall.
- Select outdoor furniture that matches the style of your home. Metal and glass furniture goes well with contemporary homes. Iron, wicker, and wood furniture goes well with traditional style homes.
- Add a garden swing or a bench if your outdoor space allows. These accessories will add a relaxing feeling to your outdoor space.
- Design your outdoor seating area like your indoor living room by arranging your outdoor furniture to make conversation easy.
- Add an outdoor dinning set for barbecues and summer dinner parties.
- Create outdoor privacy by using shrubs, trees, and fences.
- Add stylish outdoor lights to set the mood, to enhance your backyard design, and to provide safety at night.
- Use backyard torches to add elegance to your outdoor space.
- Add citronella candles to enhance the mood at night and to keep the mosquitoes away.
- Add shrubs, plants and flowers (perennial and annual) of varying colors and types to provide visual interest throughout the year. Color and form variation are a key element of any landscape design.
- Create transition layers in your planting beds buy designing your plant beds in rows of three.
- Use Hanging planters to easily add color to your outdoor space.
- Designate a separate play area for the kids.
Follow us on