A green, eco-friendly, and sustainable interior design will decrease your environmental footprint, and provide you and your family with a healthy and comfortable living space, while reducing your home’s monthly operating costs.
Here are some environmentally friendly tips to consider for your home interior design or home renovation:
- Reduce toxins by choosing low or non-VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) paints, furniture, and carpet. VOC’s are known to cause health issues such as dizziness, headaches, and nausea.
- Try environmentally friendly flooring options such as bamboo and cork.
- Choose ceramic tile made of recycled glass for bathrooms and kitchens. It's a good option that is durable and easy to maintain.
- Consider a water saving high efficiency low flush toilet, and low flow shower heads and faucets when designing your bathroom.
- Use low VOC sealers when refinishing your kitchen cabinets.
- Install a tankless water heater and use rainwater barrels.
- Consider solar water heating and solar power generating options.
- Choose energy-efficient appliances for your home.
- Repair, refinish, and reupholster whenever possible.
- Replace your old windows with newer energy efficient windows.
- Be creative by restyling your old furniture instead of replacing it.
- Consider sofas and chairs made from low-emission natural materials like untreated cotton and hardwood frames, if you are replacing your furniture.
- Use energy efficient lighting such as light-emitting diode (LED) or compact florescent lamp (CFL) light bulbs.
- Consider wiring your home so that lights can be individually controlled. This will allow you to light specific areas of your home when needed and save energy.
- Install automatic light timers and dimmers.
- Consider recyclable eco-friendly roofing and siding materials for your home such as aluminum; which is heat resistant and durable.
- Use recycled eco-friendly materials for floors, countertops, window treatments, and furniture.
- Give priority to local manufacturers to reduce the amount of pollution caused by shipping and transportation.
- Use environmentally friendly biodegradable household cleaners that do not contain chemicals or toxins (baking soda, borax, vinegar).
- Use live plants (Spider plant, Aloe plant, English ivy plant) in your home décor to clean the air and to add fresh oxygen into your space.
- De - clutter everything in your home to reduce dust mites and to improve the air quality of your interior space.
Being environmentally aware and using environmentally friendly products for your home design conveys respect for the environment and promotes a healthy environment for future generations.
Follow us on